The James Hornsby School is committed to develop provision for young carers and their families.
We capture the commitment by widening our provision, building on the needs of the young people and better meet young carers’ needs by reviewing the school’s provision for young carers with a view to ultimately achieving best practice.
How we achieve this:
- The whole school is committed to meeting the needs of young carers so that they can attend and enjoy school in the same way as other pupil/students and achieve their potential.
- Appointing a designated Young Carers’ School Lead with responsibility for young carers and their families. Pupils and families will be made aware of the identity of this lead and how to contact them to access support.
- The school only shares information with professionals and agencies on a need to know basis in order to support pupils and their families.
- The James Hornsby School will actively seek feedback and ideas from young carers and their families to shape and improve support.
- The school has an effective referral system and strong partnership in place with relevant external agencies, including referral to Young Carer agencies providing key workers who will work with young carers and families.
We strive to achieve best practice for students and families in our school in order to provide them with the best chance of success in their future.
Young Carers School Lead
Miss Houghton is the Young Carers’ co-ordinator at the James Hornsby School. She can be contacted directly on 01268 582400.