WJEC Level 1/2 Award in Hospitality and Catering
This qualification is designed for learners with an interest in hospitality and catering. It will provide learners with a knowledge of the industry as well as experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to produce quality food dishes. This qualification aims to:
- focus on the hospitality and catering industry
- give students a knowledge of the industry and the job roles available within that industry.
- provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners to:
- prepare and cook using basic skills
- understand food and its functions in the body and in recipes
- understand balanced diets and modification of recipes for health
- plan and produce dishes for a purpose.
- Recognise the jobs available within the industry.
Throughout the delivery of this qualification, the following core areas and transferable skills should be evident:
- problem-solving skills
- health and safety.
- independent learning.
Students will be required to successfully complete 1 controlled assessment and 1 exam.
Unit 1 is a final exam based on student knowledge of the hospitality and Catering industry.
Unit 2 is an non examined assessment(NEA). It is based on a scenario set by the exam board and culminates in the preparation and cooking of two dishes for a “Masterchef” type meal.