Student Senior Leadership Team and Student Voice
Nurturing the Leaders of Tomorrow
Every student is a leader.
That is why student leadership pervades everything we do at The James Hornsby School. Our Student Leadership programme creates character-building opportunities for our young people to take into the wider world, developing skills such as mentoring, assertiveness, leadership, teamwork and communication. Our student senior leadership team gives students character building opportunities to take into the wider world by developing skills such as mentoring, assertiveness, leadership, teamwork and communication.
By contributing to our family ethos and local community, our student leaders feel engaged and proud of their school, and gain qualities that are attractive to employers and universities.
We expect students:
- to be leaders of learning in their lessons;
- to lead assemblies;
- to meet and greet visitors and lead tours of the school;
- to lead peer-coaching sessions, tutor sessions and revision projects;
- to lead sporting events;
- to play a significant part in leading The James Hornsby School to new horizons – as the names of our colleges suggest.
- to follow our school values
- to be role models both inside and outside of our school community
Each college has a Student Head of College.
The Student Senior Leadership team are selected during the final term of Year 10.The students have to apply and go through a rigorous interview process where they present a topic they feel passionately about. From these interviews, the following positions are allocated:
- The Head Boy and Head Girl, Deputy Head Boy and Deputy Head Girl represent the body as a whole.
- Each college has a Wellbeing Leader who links with the Student Voice to ensure all our students are heard and can share ideas. Our current team run Wellbeing Wednesdays to allow students to voice any worries or concerns and this reinforces our family values.
- We have an Environment Leader who interacts with the Student Voice to find out ways to improve our school/community’s carbon footprint. These students have been really innovative in their projects and we recently planted 35 young sapling trees in our school grounds.
- In addition, we have a Teaching and Learning Leader who links with staff and students to make sure every lesson is conducive for effective learning and drives high expectations.
- We have College Leaders who help run assemblies and give awards to students and make sure all of our students feel like they are part of our family.
There are Student Voice representatives in every tutor group and they are consistently able to gather feedback from the students and share this with their tutors and College Leader. Their mission is to share their thoughts and ideas on how we can improve all aspects of our school. All students input is valued within the James Hornsby Family and we understand that our students are our greatest resource.