At The James Hornsby School, we believe in building leaders of the future. All pupil input is valued within the James Hornsby Family and we understand that our students are our greatest resource. The mission of our student leadership team is to work collaboratively, gathering the thoughts and ideas of our wider student body in order to make school improvement.
We have student leaders in years 7, 8 and 9 with specific roles and responsibilities outlined below. The team meet weekly in order to prioritise areas of school improvement and these are then fed back to the Senior Leadership team through regular dialogue and weekly meetings. Form time and assemblies provide opportunities for our students leaders to share their successes so that everybody knows that they play their role in shaping our school community.
Environment and sustainability
The James Hornsby executive leadership team is dedicated to leaving a lasting legacy at the school. The vision for this team has been to lay the foundations for the school to reduce its environmental footprint and become sustainable for generations to come.
With this in mind, the executive team has joined forces with the wider Zenith Trust, embarking on a journey to achieve long term sustainability. Across the school year, all 4 schools within the trust have held conferences together, working with the CEO to share ideas and projects to achieve this.
So far, the impact of those conferences has been:
- Eco-friendly windows purchased and fit into the new purpose built conference centre
- The planting of hundreds of trees across the school to support long-term sustainability
- Plans for a trust-wide environment day
- Development of specific subject curriculums and tutor programmes to support awareness and education of environmental issues
- Meetings scheduled with the school’s catering providers to improve waste disposal